The fastest way to find a great locksmith and avoid locksmith scams in Fort Lauderdale & area is to call Free My Lock: a local Fort Lauderdale Locksmith. Don’t bother going to Homeadvisor, Angie’s List or Thumbtack. These services offer virtually no value, and certainly do not check up on all the companies they represent. All these directories can’t be trusted when searching for services as you may find phony Locksmith companies. To avoid all scammers, you can take the easy route and call Free My Lock, a local Fort Lauderdale Locksmith.
Legitimate locksmith companies may also use similar names to improve their position in business directories, but the scammers have it down pat….watch this video and understand the scams, it applies to all contracting businesses but has been exploited by the scammers.
1. Be wary of locksmith companies that answer calls with generic phrases like “locksmith services,” rather than a specific name. If a locksmith cannot or will not provide the business’ legal name, find another locksmith. Free My Lock, answers as locksmith service but states our name.
2. When the locksmith arrives, ask for identification, including a locksmith license where applicable. In Broward County locksmiths are not required to be licensed, but Free My Lock is a licensed locksmith business and holds a valid tax receipt.
3. Get an estimate before any work begins, including emergency service. Free My Lock will typically give you a range over the phone, but confirm when we arrive in person. We do not charge a service fee, because our rates are reasonable and we ask you the right questions before we arrive.
4. Ask about extra charges for things like emergency hours, mileage or service call minimums before you agree to have the work performed. Free My Lock does not have any of these extra charges. We offer a no $urprises$ guarantee.
5. If the locksmith’s on-site price doesn’t match the phone estimate, don’t allow the work to be performed. Free My Lock will quote over the phone, but needs to see the lock and the door to confirm.
6. Most legitimate locksmiths will arrive in a clearly marked vehicle. This is true. Free My Lock arrives in a van, with a clearly marked shirt.
7. If you’re locked out, be cautious of companies that recommend or insist on drilling or replacing the lock up front. Most experienced locksmiths have the skills and tools to unlock almost any door. Free My Lock does not ruin your existing lock and we do have a tool that opens up any door. There are some exceptions with high security deadbolts such as Medeco or Mul-T-Lock.